Zeality Announces Strategic Funding Led by Virtual Reality Investment Leader Rothenberg Ventures
PLEASANTON, Calif. — May 16, 2016 — Zeality, a new ecosystem for content creators and brands to create premium virtual reality (VR) content for end-users, today announced that it has secured funding and formed a strategic partnership with leading VR-focused venture capital firm Rothenberg Ventures.
In addition, Zeality has received funding from Paraag Marathe, chief strategy officer and executive vice president of football operations of the San Francisco 49ers, a team that already leverages Zeality to expand the reach of its 360° and VR content. In fact, Zeality and the San Francisco 49ers in-house production company are collaborating on the Zeality 360° Shootout @ Levi’s Stadium, a groundbreaking industry event focused on 360° and virtual reality content. Jason Khalipa, owner of NC Fit and an eight-time CrossFit Games athlete, has also provided funding for Zeality. Financial terms of these investments have not been disclosed, but together they will allow Zeality to work with content creators and brands to develop and socialize VR and 360° content that transform everyday environments into unforgettable experiences.
“Zeality is a scrappy, lean company building an ecosystem grounded in the very real promise held by VR and 360° content,” said Mike Rothenberg, founder and CEO, Rothenberg Ventures. “We expect them to be making a lot of noise in this space and we’re excited to be a part of it.”
“The San Francisco 49ers organization is accelerating quickly in creating VR and 360° content that allows fans to immerse themselves in incredible experiences like never before,” said Paraag Marathe, chief strategy officer and executive vice president of football operations, San Francisco 49ers. “It’s clear that virtual reality is the next frontier and Zeality’s broad ecosystem allows us to significantly expand the reach of our content and exponentially increase engagement.”
“NC Fit is transforming its business by leveraging the power of storytelling and immersive content is the next frontier on our journey,” said Jason Khalipa, president and owner of NC Fit. “I’m excited to have the opportunity to invest in Zeality, as it provides a phenomenal ecosystem for NC Fit to deliver much deeper engagement with our community using an incredible new medium.”
In addition, several VR and sports industry standouts have joined the company’s advisory board, which will counsel Zeality’s leadership — themselves hand-selected by company co-founder and CEO Dipak M. Patel — to identify future opportunities to boost the growth and overall impact of the ecosystem. Zeality’s strategic advisors include:
- Seth Shapiro is the governor of interactive media for the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences and a two-time Emmy Award winner.
- Ted Schilowitz was the founding member and first employee of the product development team at RED Digital Cinema, as well as one of the founders and creators of the G-Tech product line of advanced hard drive storage products.
- Ranj Bath is the former vice president of corporate strategy at Beats Music and has years of experience in the digital media industry.
- Ari Zoldan is the CEO of Quantum Media Group and Chair of the Media & Development committee for The Zahn Center for Innovation at City College. He is a regular on FOX, CNN, CNBC, and NBC covering technology, media and business trends, and he carries press credentials on Capitol Hill and the UN.
- Rob Herb is currently a venture partner at Scale Venture Partners (ScaleVP) and has served on the Board at several Venture backed technology companies including Discera, Enpirion, Siimpel and Ageia Technologies.
- Roger Craig is a former running back for the San Francisco 49ers and a member of the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame.
- Jason Khalipa, owner of NC Fit and eight-time CrossFit Games competitor, placing five times in the top five, being named to Team USA three times and winning the World Championship in 2008.
Zeality is a leading social engagement and delivery platform of premium virtual reality and 360° video content. Content creators, producers and brands are empowered by the Zeality platform to distribute and manage free or premium exclusive content, increase audience engagement and generate powerful brand activation and awareness. The company leverages strong strategic partnerships with innovative brands including the San Francisco 49ers, Visa, RYOT News and Reebok to create multi-directional engagement with a variety of audiences through immersive experiences. Zeality is available in both the iOS App Store and Google Play Store. For more information, please visit http://zeality.co/.